“Plastic wrap is an excellent option because it allows us to see the colored hair. Using foils when dying hair is perfectly fine, but we get positive feedback from clients all the time about plastic wrap.”Mai
Nowadays, everybody wants a beautiful and healthy hair. At Plaza Hair Salon we combine theory and practice to satisfy our clients. Our San Diego hairstylists transform not only your look but also your personality. When you decide to change your hair color it’s important that you go to an experienced hairstylist, one that knows the difference between aluminum foil and plastic wrap. As an experienced hairstylist and salon owner, Mai will give you all the information you need when selecting a particular method for coloring your hair. It is very important to define and understand the differences between foil and plastic wrap.
Which one is Better? Aluminum Foil or Plastic Wrap?
Aluminum foil is a coloring aid, used by hairstylists to hold multiple parts of hair in place while applying dye or bleach on your hair. Aluminum foil sheets can be used for full head coloring, ombre, balayage, highlights or lowlights. A few characteristics of aluminum foil are:
- The manufacturer’s choice of material for foil is aluminum.
- Foil packets do not come pre-cut, so we have to cut them into pieces suitable for the client’s hair size and coloring needs - full head coloring or short head coloring.
- Aluminum foil is easy to use with different brand colors, but it can lead to color bleed.
- Foils are non-transparent, so we always have to open them up to see how the color is developing.
- Aluminum foil is removed from your hair by unfolding and tugging lightly. When this process isn’t done with care, it can cause pain. Our experienced hairstylists say that it is not a very professional process.
Get an appointment (858) 485-7551
Plastic Wrap is used in the same way as aluminum foil is. However, the most important aspect of the plastic wrap is that it allows you to cover as much area of the head as possible, which makes it ideal for big color changes. You can get closer to the scalp for a better overall result. If you have extra long hair and you want a full coloring the plastic foil will also be lighter. The top reasons for using plastic wrap as opposed to foil include:
- A way more natural-looking result
- The product gets greater scalp coverage
- Visibility of the color processing thanks to the transparency of plastic wrap
- The placement is more compact overall - sections wrapped in plastic do not stand off your head like foil
- Easier to put heat from a hairdryer if needed
- Less product is wasted during the process, therefore, it’s more economical.
Get Your Desired Hair Color at Plaza Hair Salon!
Most of our clients come to our Rancho Bernardo salon to get an ombre or balayage hair coloring. Balayage is a hair coloring technique different from traditional foil coloring. With the balayage technique, color is applied by hand. Plastic wrap is an excellent option for our hairstylists because it allows them to see the colored hair. Using foils when dying hair is perfectly fine, but we get positive feedback from clients all the time about plastic wrap. Some of our clients who have never experienced the plastic wrap technique are satisfied with the result. Call Plaza Hair Salon to schedule your hair color with Mai or any of our experienced color experts at 858.485.7551.